Monday, November 6, 2017

The Champions

So I thought I'd take a look at some of the comics I'm currently enjoying, starting with my current favorite Marvel, the Champions!

I think what I really like about the Champions is that it is about the next generation of Marvel heroes. This is interesting because the characters are young and trying to be heroes in a world where super-folks are well established. This reflects the classic Marvel comics of the 60's that it deals with people new to being heroes, but it also deals with this as a continuation of the classic Marvel comics, not a reboot. I'm not a big fan of reboots because they always end up telling the same stories that were told originally all over again. And that's just not very creative, I think.


Cast-wise I am enjoying everyone, but I think I can kinda rank them as to my preferences. I know there are some more characters recently joined, but here's the ones I have opinions about so far:

I'm probably least interested in the new Hulk, Amadeus Cho. He's the smartest and can Hulk-out and become strong and invulnerable. No real downside to this.

The  Viv Vision is okay, but doesn't really differ much from the Vision. Still, she gets into some interesting situations, and I think this is a good example of doing well with a rather dull character.

Cyclops is more fun than I thought he would be. This is Scott Summers as a time-displaced teen. Much more interesting than the adult character has been in years.

Spider-Man, Mile Morales is almost as interesting as Peter Parker was as a teen.

Nova is a blast. He's very unsure of himself despite being very powerful. I always thought the original Nova character was fun, and since he never became more than a B-level hero, he's a good character to revisit by having the legacy passed on to a younger character.

But by far my favorite is Ms. Marvel! Kamala Khan is just amazing! She's powerful, but not overly so, and she's very optimistic usually, yet she encounters a lot of hardship. Mostly her interactions with Nova and Spider-Man make the Champions such an entertaining book.

Kamala Khan.jpg

Okay, I know that's brief. Maybe I'll add more as I catch up reading the Champions. I  have a couple issues in my "to read" stack.

No comments:

Post a Comment