Thursday, January 21, 2016

Review: OWD 4.05 & 4.06

It's about time I catch up on Out With Dad!  I'm really trying to blog more about this and other things. other things have been more on my mind lately, plus I haven't been very good at keeping these postings weekly, but here goes some commentary!

The last episode I commented on introduced Owen.  A lot has happened since then! Episode 4.05 is called "S'Mores with Dad" and features a campfire, a flashback, and a great conversation between Rose and Nathan.

Most importantly, this episode discusses the correct way to roast marshmallows.  Nathan totally has it right.  What's the point of blackened sugar?  Marshmallows should be nice and brown, a little crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside.  At least that's how I used to do it.  I hated them black.  But eventually I realized I don't really care for marshmallows at all.  Except when holding together cereal treats, of course!


Then the conversation turns to Vanessa. Rose hasn't talked about Vanessa to anyone for three years apparently.  But she wants to now (which is nice for us viewers). She talks of the great times she spent with Vanessa when she liked but didn't like-like her.  The innocent times of youth and ignorance.  Rose notes that her coming out was what destroyed her and Vanessa's perfect relationship. We also find out Rose wrote an article when she was 16 that told of her school's refusal to allow a GSA. The article was published in a national newspaper.

Nathan's words to his daughter caution her of looking back too fondly on the past.  Remembering the good times is okay, but we have to press on and there's a lot of good things ahead.  Rose became a productive member of a community and helped bring about social change.  Is this more important than keeping a best friend?

Maybe.

Episdoe 4.06 is called "Elephants in the room with Alicia" and starts with the sweetest little cameo by Claire, which really expresses the real-life situation of having the money and time to bring Caitlynne Medrek back for an appearance on season 4.

But the main thrust of the episode is Rose and Alicia discussing their past loves. Starting with Kenny, who has unfortunately become a pot-head loser since High School. Which really upsets me, as he was my favorite character.  Though he was a slacker, I always figured he'd have some niche to make his life have meaning.  At least it's hard to feel sorry for Alicia for not being with him anymore.


Concerning Claire, they talk about how no one was to blame, and it was bad timing.  We also find out Claire has a girlfriend. Yay!  Good for her!  And that's about all that's new, but there is a sense of anticipation that maybe...Rose and Claire can have a reunion of sorts some day.

And I know I've gone on and on in the past about how much I like Kate Conway, but did I mention lately that Laura Jabalee is just adorable?  Well, now I did!

Okay, that's two episodes down and...I need to get busy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment