Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: Out With Dad 3.03 "Storming In & Out"

It’s time for me to get back to writing my thoughts about the beginning block of the third season of my favorite webseries, Out With Dad. Storming In & Out picks up where the last episode ended: Rose and Claire have been interrupted during a moment of affection by Claire’s dad. This is when we learn that, despite her seemingly always happy demeanor, Claire’s life isn’t all fun and games.  In fact, her life looks to be a bit more complicated than Rose’s.  The first scene in this episode, with the confusing conversation between Claire’s dad and everyone else, including someone on the phone, is excellent!  It’s scary and funny and ridiculous, but I could see something just like this happening in a real-life situation.  My favorite line is “My son is not a lesbian, that doesn’t even make sense!” Claire’s often-absent father isn’t too happy now…

Rose’s conversation with Nathan about the incident is also very well done. I see the joy on her face and in her voice and I’m happy for her. (It’s easy to forget she’s not a real person experiencing these things!) And now comes the most interesting portion of this episode.  Claire’s upset.  Rose thinks it would be a good idea for her to spend the night.  Nathan says no.  It’s an interesting predicament, but I think Nathan is right about this one.  Rose might think it wouldn’t be any different than having any girl stay over, but it certainly is.  Is it the same as having a boyfriend stay over?  Yes…and no.  But I don’t think having a romantic partner spend the night is something any 16 year old should have to deal with.

I do want to add that Caitlynne Medrek’s performance in this episode is outstanding!  I’m a little afraid to say that because I’m worried that it could be interpreted as saying the other actors aren’t doing a good job.  But I am not at all saying that anyone else is below par! Kate and Jonathan and the group playing Claire’s family did great jobs.  But Claire is so cute and funny and Caitlynne is doing so well taking us on the wild ride through Claire’s wild emotional states!

I shall return with more commentary, as these episodes just keep getting better and better!  Best season ever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment