Monday, December 2, 2013

Review: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is my favorite new TV show! I have read a lot of reactions from many people about this new show, and they have been very mixed.  It seems the show is not “super-heroish” enough for a lot of people, and just plain boring to some.  I’ll try to explain why I like it so much.

First, I remember S.H.I.E.L.D. as the Supreme Headquarters of International Espionage Law-enforcement Division, though that is not the acronym being used currently.  I don’t know if this was made up for the movies (it was first used in Iron Man) or if it was changed in the comics.  I don’t even remember what the new acronym stands for.  I did not look up the original, I’ve had that memorized for many many years. This isn’t the only difference form the classic comics.  There aren’t any classic comic characters among the main cast.  Coulson, the leader, was created for the Marvel movies and the rest made their debut on the TV show.  However, I’ve never been too big on S.H.I.E.L.D. lore, and only Nick Fury has ever been more than a periphery character in the comics.  To sum up: the differences between the comics and TV don’t bother me at all.

Then
I find the characters quite fun!  My favorite are “FitzSimmons”, the joined name for the resident scientists.  They have a funny way of finishing each other’s sentences with talk only Reed Richards could follow.  Coulson leads the group, trying to be a teacher and supporter while being haunted by the fact that he’s alive.  May hasn’t done too much but be cool, but the point of her character is to be quiet, mysterious, and deadly. Ward is a typical he-man, always looking for action but being forced to be a team player, especially by mentoring Skye. And Skye does a good job being the “outsider” which helps the viewers get briefed on S.H.I.E.L.D. procedures.  There are some interesting relationships between the characters, especially the attraction between different members and the possible ramifications thereof.


Now
The stories have gotten more complicated and intense as the season has progressed, dipping slightly into the Marvel movieverse without involving anyone directly.  Unlike some, I don’t want a lot of Marvel characters showing up.  A “hero of the week” would make the team back-ups to the mainstream Marvel stars.  So I’m very happy so far.  The action is intense and the tech goodies are cool.  Also, there’s the ongoing question of Coulson’s remarkable survival.  Or…did he really survive??


No comments:

Post a Comment