Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reviews: Fantasy Theater, *PPFSZT! and The Scavengers

Today I’m back to my reviews of comics I picked up at the SPACE convention.  I have three more to review, so I shall begin now with no further delay!

J. Kevin Carrier’s Fantasy Theater #22 features two tales written and drawn by Kevin Carrier (of course!).  The first is about the sword wielding Glorianna, who is hired to save a young noble from an assassination attempt!  There are surprises and lots of action in “The Art of Murder”! The second story is about Capella who is a half-alien super-powered girl who gets airsick when flying.  In this story Capella’s mind has been switched with a villain and she must find a way to get her (half-alien) body back!  I am a big fan of Kevin’s work.  His art is cartoony and fun, and his stories always entertain.  He doesn’t do anything spectacular in this issue’s plots, but the stories remind me very much of older comics, when things were more fun and wrapped up neatly in the end.  I highly recommend Kevin’s work.  I have previously mentioned his webcomics, which include regular installments of Glorianna and mother/daughter super-tea, Lady Spectra and Sparky.  If all goes well, I’ll have my own Lady Spectra story done soon too!!

*PPFSZT! #36 is a western-themed anthology comic.  There are about 50 pages of stories and illustrations so forgive me for not reviewing them all.  But here are some of the highlights:  Magnet Man & Smokey Gunn by Brian Wayne Powell is a joke strip that uses only 2 visuals.  A format like this means the story must be good.  And it is!  Not great…but good!  RIP in “Weird Western Falls” by Michael Anthony Carroll tells a story about Death in the old west.  It has a clever ending I won’t spoil!  Notches by Roger Keel, Tony Lorenz and Scott Shriver is well told, though kind of predictable and has very nice art with very effective gray tones.  Counting Coup by Robert J. Sodaro and John Lambert was my favorite story in the collection.  The story is good and I really really like the art style!  *PPFSZT!  Is worth checking out!  With so many contributions, you’re bound to find something you like!  Look here for details.

The Scavengers by Bill Volk is a 24-hour comic.  Which means it was done in less than 24 hours. It is only 12 pages though, not 24.  Anyway, it tells the story of a ragtag group of heroes including Octo-Lincoln, The Hodag, Chixon, and Kevin Costner.  It reads almost like a jam comic, probably because Bill was making things up quickly as he created the story.  It’s a funny story with goofy artwork.  Lots of fun!  See more stuff by Bill on his website!

Well, that’s it for this week!  I’ve got lots of artwork to do and hopefully I’ll be able to show some stuff here soon.  See you back here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment