Thursday, August 2, 2018

Spider-Man and Steve Ditko

Steve Ditko, the artist who created the iconic look of Spider-Man, recently passed away. Though just about everyone has already written about Ditko's impact on comics, let me add my thoughts.

Ditko is often mention third in importance in creating Marvel Comics. That is, besides Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko was the most responsible for the look and feel of what became the Marvel Universe. I think putting him third is appropriate. Anyone who thinks it's an insult to be listed directly after Lee and Kirby is crazy. Ditko's supreme ability to write with his art, including plotting many issues of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, helped Stan Lee get the Marvel Universe off the ground. Spider-Man was the character that needed Ditko, because Ditko could make him look like a gangly teen and not an adult athlete, and Ditko's web design has stood the test of time as a great look for a costumed crime fighter.

I would not put Ditko on my list of the top 10 best artists, and I do think I like John Romita's take on Spidey better overall, but that just shows that Ditko couldn't be best at everything. But he more important and influential than many people know.

Here's my take on Spidey. I tried to give him very Ditko-like eyes, which I don't normally do.



No comments:

Post a Comment